Any remodelling project requires a great deal of planning, a firm budget, and careful attention to the details of the work that’s to be done. If your home is outdated and in need of upgrades to make it more comfortable and convenient, you should consider beginning with the kitchen where you probably spend a great deal of your time. You’ll notice during any family gathering or celebrations that many of your guests end up standing in the kitchen area where they feel comfortable and can enjoy themselves and others. As you begin your planning for remodelling your kitchen, let’s take a look at some of the mistakes to avoid in the process so that you’ll be completely satisfied with the end results.
- Remember that the refrigerator, stove, and sink create an imaginary work triangle that makes everything that you do in the kitchen convenient; it’s important to keep this area unobstructed so that access can be attained easily.
- You want to retain all of the storage space that you can so that your designer kitchen will appear clutter-free and organised to the maximum. You can have shelving installed about your sink area if no window is present and you can use the area beneath the sink to hold shelving or drawers that hold all of your cleaning supplies. Having cabinetry installed above the refrigerator is an excellent place to keep snacks or other quick foods.
- You should not limit the amount of worktop space that is available in your kitchen; remember that this is the area where you prepare food and beverages for your family and friends. If your kitchen currently doesn’t have enough work space, think about adding an island where you can also find more storage space underneath the workspace on top.
- Don’t skimp on lighting for your kitchen; lighting helps you to work in a safe environment and can add a touch of beauty to your overall design. Be sure to include accent lighting, task lighting, and some overall lighting to cover the areas in which you work and eat. Pendants may work beautifully over the island that you just added; remember that the more lighting you have the more you can accent the special architectural touches that you have in your kitchen.
- Don’t leave out the backsplash at your sink area. If you use wallpaper or simply have drywall behind the sink, the moisture will soon cause the wallpaper to shrink and become unattractive. Adding a backsplash will also carry out your design element in an attractive and functional manner.
- Don’t avoid asking for help. Remodelling your kitchen is a big project and the local suppliers and professionals can offer you their expertise as you select the design elements that make your kitchen more modern. Many of them have software programs that can bring your ideas to life so that you can make changes before the work actually begins.
Avoiding mistakes as you begin your kitchen remodelling project will save you a great deal of time, money and effort, and will make the entire project much more enjoyable.